Tuesday 1 March 2022

Be on my own, no more in a race

                                                                                       


D' hare-tortoise instance stated,

slow and steady wins the race

the turtle's resolve highlighted,

and efficacy of its persistence


Hare had no occasion to narrate,

his side of d' story, shortcomings

once offered to express it in brief,

had a candid dialogue gratifying 

Yes, I'm d' same hare, lost d' race,

but never lethargic or complacent

hopped o'er the lea near d' hillock,

peeped to rate my advancement

Looked back into d' far meadows,

the tortoise, nowhere to be seen

assured of an unambiguous lead,

for a short nap made up my mind

D' pond side ambiance, breeze,

the serene banyan tree shade

race eager, I had a wakeful night

to take little rest, I turned mad

The old, silly tortoise did boast,

about its august ability to plod

for hundreds of kilometers with

no pause, to shatter all records

I wished to make him aware,

life, a marathon, not a sprint

can rush both far and fast to

secure my position in d' event

The tree shade, an umbrella,

located one oval rock below

grass enveloped, too relaxing,

turned into a makeshift pillow

Rustling leaves, buzzing bees,

I felt they were collaborating

effected to put me to drowse

all as a team as if conspiring

Saw myself drifting on a log,

in a delightful stream of water

with a shoal of swimming fish,

I steadily floated to d' shore

A sage with a flowing beard,

on a rock in a meditative pose

unshut eyes with a wise smile,

asked my identity to disclose

I'm a hare, to prove my ability

partaking in the running race,

all animals in d' jungle know

I'm d' best, fastest in d' race

Why do you need to prove that?

to get a medal, to earn li'l status,

fetch me money, yield me food

but already got plenty around us

Pointed to d' forest around, told,

trees laden with fruits and nuts

d' lush green leafy branches can

fill d' belly of one & all creatures

I also want admiration, regards,

to be reckoned, be remembered

like d' fame of most robust lion,

massive elephant, fastest deer

Today challenged by a tortoise,

next, a zebra/ snake in d' contest

you'll keep on racing all your life,

to prove that you are d' fastest?

"Hmm. I never thought about that,

to race my entire life, I don't wish

rather sleep under a banyan tree

with a makeshift pillow, be selfish

enjoy d' leaves rustle, bees buzz

near d' hills and swim in d' pond

thrilled to see the lively rainbow,

and want to hop over d' meadows

Can do those, this very moment

its high time to forget this race

now here, next sec you're gone

no one ever will be able to trace

I woke up, dived into the pond

d' ducks in d' pond looked jolly

I startled them for a moment,

they glanced at me quizzically 

No race with d' tortoise anymore

it's pointless, an exercise in futility

someone someday, tell my story,

narrate I lost d' race but of utility

got back to life, a life so precious

exhumed its obscured essence

now realized its real undercurrent,

be on my own, no more in a race



0 comments:

Post a Comment